Baruch Sterman received his Master’s in electrical engineering from Columbia University and his PhD in physics from the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, where he developed a CO2 laser used for both medical and industrial purposes. He is a co-founder of Ptil Tekhelet and was instrumental in developing the modern techniques for dyeing tekhelet used by the association today. His first book, THE RAREST BLUE: The Remarkable Story of an Ancient Color Lost to History and Rediscovered, is now available from Lyons Press.
THE 10 QUESTIONS
- What is your favorite word? Disparate
- What makes you laugh? Sharing stories with my kids about stupid things I’ve done.
- What makes you cry? Real goodbyes
- What is your favorite guilty pleasure? 100 Grand Bars
- What city or country would you most like to visit? The Keck Observatory, Hawaii
- What was your favorite childhood book? Isaac Asimov, the Foundation series
- What is your favorite sitcom, past or present? The Monkees
- What is your favorite magazine? Natural History
- What was your favorite movie of the past year? Footnote
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be? Invisibility
- Hometown: Passaic, NJ
- Birthday: June 10
- Middle name: David
- Website: TheRarestBlue.com
- Facebook: The Rarest Blue
- How He Found His Agent: Serendipitously—on the Internet.