Adam Ruben earned his Ph.D. in molecular biology at Johns Hopkins University and is currently working on a malaria vaccine with the biotech company, Sanaria Inc. In addition to performing stand-up comedy, he writes the humor column, “Experimental Error,” for the journal, Science. He lives with his wife in Washington, D.C., and his first book, SURVIVING YOUR STUPID, STUPID DECISION TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL, is available from Broadway Books.
The 10 Questions
- What is your favorite word? HRYVNIA, which someone made against me in Scrabble last year.
- What makes you laugh? Puns
- What makes you cry? The movie, The Notebook. (Does that make me less of a man?) (Yes.)
- What is your favorite guilty pleasure? Stealing free food from events I didn’t attend. I guess I’m still a grad student.
- What city or country would you most like to visit? Greenland
- What was your favorite childhood book?The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop
- What is your favorite sitcom, past or present? Arrested Development
- What is your favorite magazine? Does Science count?
- What was your favorite movie of the past year? Inception
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be? The ability to never sleep. What a waste of time!
Hometown: Wilmington, DE
Birthday: May 28
Middle name: Jeremy
Book: Surviving Your Stupid, Stupid Decision to Go to Grad School
Column: Experimental Error
YouTube: The Grad Student Rap
How He Found His Agent: I’m ashamed to say I purchased a list of agents’ e-mail addresses for $200, and I sent a query e-mail to about 150 agents. I’m far less ashamed to say that it worked.